Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Video: "Untitled Fall '95" by Alex Bag - response

oh. my. god. I cannot stand the manner in which she talks..she sounds so air-headed and pretentious..typical 'teen angst' persona; like nails on chalkboard. I was a little lost with the second scene, where she repeats 'call me' over and over--it was kind of irritating, and none of her following performances seemed to get any better with the film, nor were they making any sense to me. Many of the clips are excessively repetitious. Her performances seemed to me more like the random ramblings of a bored child's imagination. The entirety of this film consists of bizarre performance clips framed by several clips of bag talking to the viewer of her experiences/feelings on being an art student at SVA.

I am not exactly clear on the purpose of this film; I think of it as a kind of critique on the typical 'art student'. At least I certainly hope that is the case and this girl is not taking herself seriously. I was kind of surprised, and perhaps a little upset, when seeing some of myself in the character she portrayed in her monologues to the audience as a student. Some of the things she rants about in regards to the school and her development as an artist are things I know I've thought about at some point in one sense or another. Hearing her complaints through this video provides a different kind of perspective, kind of a characture of what I myself probably am like in my moments of frustration. I don't like how it makes me a little stupid for thinking similarly, but at the same time I think these are concerns and feelings everyone encounters..the remarkably unremarkable journey a student goes through to become an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment