Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Zimmerli: Blocks of Color


I honestly was not expecting to come across anything that I would really enjoy viewing in the Zimmerli, and I have to say with great pleasure that I was severely mistaken. The Blocks of Color exhibit is right up my alley, featuring many woodcut prints, most of which seemed less like a print and more like a beautiful watercolor painting. Among my favorites were these Asian landscape paintings which i managed to get some photos of..and ironically did not get the title of the paintings or the artist. I absolutely Love the saturated color featured in some of these works, coupled with dramatically beautiful contrast of the line-work makes for a style painting that I can never get enough of.


The best works I saw in this exhibit ironically I know the names of yet do not have any images of, unfortunately. But upon seeing these works of art I made a point to document who made them and what they were titled. These were near the end of the exhibit..at least near the end in the manner which I walked through the gallery, two by Helen Frankenthaler both of which are color woodcut prints. One titled Japanese Maple, and the other titled Geisha. Immediately following Helen's works were the works of Michael Mazer, the two were titled Gail's Island 1, and Gail's Island 2. I absolutely LOVED how these two images featured the pattern of wood grain colorfully covering both works and within the grain, little islands of trees were added floating about the swirls of the wood grain. The coupling of the trees with the wood grain made it seem like the grain was not only wood, but also water, which completed the two paintings as convincing landscapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment